Updated in Feature Release 2.9.0 (October 20, 2020): 'All conversions' added to Activation Threshold which includes all conversions in approved, pending, rejected status
SmartSwitch allows you to set rules about unacceptable traffic and have the system automatically block and notify placements accordingly. SmartSwitch is a powerful tool for automatic optimization that pauses traffic based on your target KPI goals, defined by your chosen rules and metrics. SmartSwitch is able to notify your Partners and includes a delay, allowing Partners a chance to optimize before their blocked placements are paused.
Enabling the SmartSwitch Feature
First, approve the roles for which you will allow SmartSwitch (Access to roles requires being an Administrator on your Accounts). Navigate to Control Center - Roles, then click the three vertical dots in the row which you would like to add Smart Switch. Under Offers, check the box for Smart Switch with either Full Access or Read Only.
Creating a SmartSwitch
Navigate to Offers - SmartSwitch, then click + Add New Rule.
You will land on the General tab. As you start filling in the fields, a preview of the rule will appear on the right side. Please note that there is a maximum allowance of 30 individual rules.
- Start/End Dates are optional. Leave blank if you do not wish to have dates associated with the rule.
- Enable Notifications will send notifications to Employee Users when there is traffic being affected by a SmartSwitch rule. Please note that even if this setting is enabled, Employee Users will not receive them if they have disabled these specific notifications in their account. In the Portal, each Employee User can adjust their notification settings by navigating to Control Center - My Account > Notifications tab.
- Enabling Notify Partners will send a notification to Partner Users whose traffic is affected by a SmartSwitch rule. Please note that even if this setting is enabled, your Partners will not receive them if they have disabled these specific notifications in their account. In the Partner Portal, each Partner User can control which notifications they receive by navigating to Company - My Account > Notifications tab.
For a Partners' guide to managing notifications - [Click Here]
- Targeted Entity Type: Decide whether your rule is based on Advertiser, which will include all Offers attached to the selected Advertiser(s), or is based on an Offer.
Click Continue to move on to the Settings tab.
You will land on the Settings tab. As you start filling in the fields, a preview of the rule will appear on the right side.
Using the settings entered below as an example, this would mean that a report will run every 12 hours that analyzes the Sub4 data from the past 24 hours to determine whether action is necessary. If there are sources that should be paused, Partners and Networks are notified with a 1 hour delay before the pause takes effect.
- Variable: Select Source_id or Sub1-5 to indicate which data set you would like the rule to be associated with.
- Action: Decide whether you would like to either 1) send the blocked Click to a blank page, 2) follow the Fail Traffic logic, or 3) simply receive a notification about the associated traffic.
- Run Frequency: Define how often the data is checked against the rule.
- Data Lookback Window: Define the time window each data check analyzes.
- Action Delay: Define the length of time allowed between notifying the Partner/Network and the action taking effect.
Click Continue to move on to the Rules tab.
You will land on the Rules tab. As you start filling in the fields, a preview of the rule will appear on the right side.
Using the settings entered below as an example, this would mean that once any Sub4 variable reaches 5001 total Clicks and the CVR (Conversions/total Clicks) is below .05%, the sub4 traffic source will be blocked an hour after the notification is sent. Once the Rule is set up, click Run Evaluation to determine whether any current traffic is affected by this rule.
Activation Thresholds must be met to enforce the associated KPI, and are defined by a specific data point and the assigned minimum or maximum value. They are Total Clicks, Revenue, Payout, Impressions, Events, Conversions (approved status) or All Conversions (approved, pending, rejected status excluding view-through conversions).
KPIs are Key Performance Indicators based on Events and associated values.
SmartSwitch makes real-time calculations based on your defined thresholds and KPIs to automate optimization. Please note that you can add multiple thresholds and KPIs by clicking the '+' and/or remove them by clicking the trashcan. Please note the following logic is applied when there are multiple settings implemented:
Multiple Thresholds - "OR"
Multiple KPIs - "AND"
- Events: Select Base, Event or the specific name of the Event to which this KPI will apply.
- Metric: Determine the data point the rule will use in the KPI formula. You can read the definitions of the metrics [here]. Fraud Signal: This metric is based on the parameter
&fraud_flag=1being passed in the advertiser postback. Please discuss with your advertisers if this metric is available.
- Value: Assign a number or percent value to the event which the KPI formula is solving for.
Click Continue to move on to the Exclusion (Optional) tab.
You will land on the Exclusion (Optional) tab, which allows you to exclude a Partner / Variable combination from any rule.
Click Save to finalize the SmartSwitch rule.
Managing Blocked Variables and existing SmartSwitch activations
Navigate to Offers - SmartSwitch, then click on the SmartSwitch Rule and go to the Blocked Variables tab.
Show Filters: Filter by Offer, Partner, Variable, Status (of rule), Created After, Created Before, Blocked After, Blocked Before for a more granular historical view.
Apply to Selected: Select rules using the check boxes to apply either Block, Delete or Whitelist from the drop-down menu.
Using Run History
The Run History tab provides a list of each SmartSwitch activation and its associated results. Click the three vertical dots on the far right end of each row for a detailed view.
NEED HELP? OUR CUSTOMER SUCCESS TEAM IS HERE FOR YOU!
We've assembled a superstar team of industry veterans that are available around the clock to make sure that your issues are resolved and questions are answered. You can reach out any time in-platform via Chat or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.